Students will learn about marine industry careers, maritime terminology, types of vessels and vessel protocol. Job skills and career paths for the marine industry are covered. Personal conduct, customer service skills, resume writing and interviewing skills are included to improve employment opportunities.
Additional subjects covered are:
- USCG certificates and licenses required for career paths.
- How to prepare for and assist with USCG inspections.
The student will be able to:
- Locate job opportunities, produce a completed job application and demonstrate interview skills.
- Follow correct use of nautical terminology, illustrate examples of vessel protocol, diagram marine career paths and explain chain of command in a ship’s crew.
- Display professional deportment and practice exemplary personal conduct with crew and passengers.
16 weeks, 2 units
Tuesdays, 8:45 - 10:50 am
August 27 - December 18, 2011
Offered through Orange Coast College
Minimum 12, Maximum 32 students
Text, Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship (approx $60) not included
Fee may be charged for field trip.