Commodore’s Corner

OCC Fleet Sail 2/15/20
OCC Instructors Colleen Clay and Karen Vernon joins the OCC SA for the first fleet sail of 2020.

February 2020 by Krista Vann

Last Saturday was great fun.  We had our first OCCSA fleet sail of the year and the weather was warm and wonderful. I didn’t plan on sailing because I was hoping to get more photos of the boats as they left the dock and passed in front of the school.  Turns out OCC Instructor Colleen was taking two crew members out and spontaneously asked if I’d like to hop aboard.  Why not? I had my camera.  I had time.  And quite frankly, I had never been on a Harbor 20 before.  My experience at OCC was limited to Lidos and Shields.  What a surprise! Turns out the Harbor 20’s are incredibly comfortable, stable, swift, and well rigged.  We were only out on the water for 30 minutes but I enjoyed every second. I have a new appreciation for this little boat and I wanted to share a few photos of the interior and the crew.  I would highly suggest taking Harbor 20 classes and getting certified as a skipper which gives you rental privileges as well as a chance to sail for free on future fleet sails as a skipper.  It’s a great boat for taking out your friends or family – especially people who might be a little squeamish about sailing.  The cockpit is roomy and the cushions are soft.  Pack a lunch.  Turn on the wireless speaker.  And make memories!   

Fresh air. The sound of the water. Conversation with friends. Maybe it’s time to unplug and get back to the basics?

January 2020 By Krista Vann

New Decade. New Adventures?

My name is Krista Vann and I will be the Commodore for the Orange Coast College Sailing Association this year. Is it just me or does 2020 feel like a milestone of sorts? A turning of a corner? A point where great things need to happen? The school is certainly in the midst of transition. They have a new maritime center in construction right across the street.  They also have reformatted classes such as “Friday Fun Sails” and one-day introductory “Learn to Sail” courses. Tell your friends to unplug from the electronics and imagine a day on the water. 

Here at OCCSA we have new ideas as well. We will be introducing “Sailing Socials” during the break between morning and afternoon classes on select weekends.  If you see our OCCSA sign hanging over the banister and smoke coming out of the patio barbecue, rest assured a free hot dog and new friends are nearby.

I started sailing 10 years ago right here at OCC School of Sailing and Seamanship. I signed up for Lido 1 and Lido 2 (see old photo below) then moved up to Shields 1 and 2. Soon afterward, I joined OCCSA so I could meet like-minded people and have the chance to go on day trips and weekends to Catalina. How time flies. Now I have two sailboats! The first is an Ericson 23′ that I keep in Redondo Beach. The second is a vintage Etchells racer in restoration behind my house. I firmly believe it is never too late to try something new and I encourage you to be the little voice that tells your friends and family to embrace curiosity and take a sailing or power boating class. Yes, even in winter.  Because there is no bad weather…just bad clothing!  

January Membership Meeting

Monday, January 27 at 7 pm

Guest Speaker – Capt Sarah Hirsch, Manager – Community Boating

Join Captain Sarah Hirsch for sea stories and a preview into the new OCC Mariner Training Center, now under construction across the street from our current facility. Sarah holds an all-oceans Masters License and has led youth and adult sailing programs on an array of vessels, including modern sloops and cutters, open pulling boats, and “tall ships” of many types. She has a passion for sail training and providing pathways for new mariners to develop knowledge and skills on the water. She joined OCC School of Sailing and Seamanship as a manager at the end of August 2019 and is working with the staff and faculty to bring new classes and programs to the community and the Professional Mariner program.  Come learn more about our plans for a Full Mission Bridge Simulator, Radar classroom, hands-on safety and boat maintenance classes, and of course, the pedestrian bridge over Pacific Coast Highway.